Friday 23 January 2015

#3 Does Sex matter?

 

 Although my daughter is 9 months old she has fair hair, as my husband and I were both fair as children. That's all good but she also doesn't have much of it and this is where my keep it real parenting stems from today.
   I was in the supermarket a few days ago and my daughter was in the trolley seat. At the check out there was a couple possibly in their late 60's waiting behind us.
Jemma likes looking around at people and it wasn't long before she caught their eye.
" oh isn't he a cutey" they said. I just went along with it but then for some reason it dawned on the lady that she might be a girl. " yeah she's a girl but that's ok" I replied. Well the lady proceeded to get very embarrassed and tried to justify why they thought she was a boy.
   I went in to explain that I really wasn't offended. It was perfectly fine. People do it all the time. Hey... I've even done it.
   Why is gender such an issue even at such an early stage of life? Why do people think it's such an issue if their boy likes playing with dolls or if their girl likes playing with trucks or if they wear pink or blue. I thought we were past this in 2015.
So on the issue of my daughter being called a boy, I know she could pass as a boy because of her short, fair hair but I really don't care because she is a happy, healthy, alert, inquisitive beautiful person. Yes... PERSON! Thats what counts to me! Just trying to keep it real, I guess :)

No comments:

Post a Comment