Sunday 8 February 2015

#5 Public Opinion

    


There is only one letter difference between the words "public" and "pubic" and when I think about it, they can often evoke the same feeling. You can see the distain on people's faces like they've just been made to drink their own urine. Why?? What's wrong with public stuff?
When I think about it... I have always been a happy "public stuff" user. 
As a baby I had my swimming lessons at the local public pool, I went to school at the local public schools, and I traveled to University and work on public transport. It was always comfortable, convenient and sufficient for me.
    So why wouldn't I have been happy to have my baby at a public hospital? Well guess what? I did (Cue urine face of distain). I even had my daughter at one of those dirty bogan Western Sydney public hospitals. Whoa! (double urine face of distain).
Now, I'm not saying I had a fairytale pregnancy and birth, where I was treated like a princess and felt no pain. I, by no means expected that. But to keep it real I'm saying that the service and care that I received was always professional, comfortable, convenient and sufficient. I walked out of that hospital with a beautiful healthy baby girl and I didn't have to pay a cent for it. Except as a tax payer, of course. What an incredible country Australia is. To support tax funded healthcare. I'm extremely grateful for our "public stuff" and when people bring up public vs private with me, you won't see a urine face of distain if you choose to go public. You'll see a smile and nod in support. K.I.R my friends K.I.R!

No comments:

Post a Comment